Monday 8 December 2014

Bann Sang


Greetings ladles and jellyspoons~

Songie and I went to Bann Sang the other day which I believe is located on High St in Auckland CBD. It's actually tucked away so I probably would not have found it by myself. The service was good, all the waitresses were fast, and the food was pretty fast too. Nice wooden tables. When I walked in I had this impression of a pretty small room but they somehow managed to not make it feel cramped despite having a lot of tables. We were there with some friends for some photoshoot discussion(well a few of us were just tagging along for food but yeah) by the way.

 


 

 
 

 

 
 



The atmosphere I found to be comfortable, not gloomy, but since it was tucked away in a building it wasn't overly bright either.



The menu had a lot of variety so that's great, but I went with Bulgogi because that's generally a pretty safe bet that it won't be spicy.

 

It came out on a hot stone plate to keep it warm, and trust me when I say you shouldn't touch those. Trust me. The bulgogi itself tasted nice, it wasn't dry and stringy like some that I've had and it had a mix of sizes. The sauce kept it moist and the vegetables mixed in helped make it a more balanced meal, which was good/ I always like how there usually a balance of meat and vegetables available with Korean food. I loooooved the side dish of potato cubes that were, according to Uhyoung; soaked in sweet sauce and thus made slightly chewy and squishy before you got to the soft mushy insides. Seriously good. It's filling for other people even without my relatively small appetite, if you included the bowl of rice on the side that I was a little too full to finish. I gave kimchi to Melissa, had the cold broccoli(it was cold on purpose, and it came with nice sauce), and the sour, tangy pickled(?) radish. It cost $13 which I think is worth it.

Just a cute little planter I saw on the way out.
 
After lunch we moved to Gloria Jeans down at Khartoum Place, which is a little square with trees and sitting areas next to Lorne St. I'm not totally sure if it's actually Gloria Jeans but the only way you can get in is via there so I assume so. It has some photographs and art set up around it and it has a sort of classy yet grunge-y vibe to it. It might be just me. But yeah, every time I pass this place I look at the chandeliers and silently promise myself I'll go inside one day. Well it was that day.

 


Seriously, look at it.
















art on the walls

On the way there though, I stopped by La Couronne that my friend Angela works at to say hi and grab some snacks. I ended up getting some custard snaps and a complimentary jelly(I'm lucky like that, and I feel so loved when I get yummy food hahaha. Thanks Angie!!).




The jelly: It was a good type of jelly, not that easily cut, hard and tasteless agar agar jelly. Soft but at the same time a little rubbery, enough so that its a lil tough to break, which just added to the charm. The taste was nice, the sweet syrupy taste like those Asian jellies we all love. Inside were lil preserved strawberries, and they were tangy and cute. The packaging was adorable, I kept it even afer I ate it haha.

Custard snaps: I'll say first off that they're not like brandy snaps. In contrast to the crunchy, toffee like roll of a brand snap, it was all soft. The "shell" is actually a really soft, sponge-y cake, and the inside is some odd but still tasty rubbery(in a good way!) custard. You can get it for $5. I'm a little curious as to how the cake thing sticks together but maybe that's a trade secret so I can't ask?

Other things I've gotten from La Couronne include this little bag of snacks as comfort food after exams. In my defense I only ate the pudding and the macaron.



As a person who had to spend weeks eating failed macaron shells from my brother's and my own failures(he was ultimately much more successful and I enjoyed eating his results a lot more than my own. Though the gloopy mess of mine tasted OK too), I haven't had many macarons since last year. The macarons that I have occasionally been gifted by aforementioned awesome Angie, I am happy to say do not bring me memories of those blue shelled messes. As with all successful macarons, these shells had feet. I still don't know why they are called feet because I just dont see any resemblance between those little crusty bits to our feet. Anyway, this shell just caves in as you eat it but I like how it goes with the filling; Together the ganache inside feels refreshingly cool to the mouth even if it hasnt been in the fridge. I really like it when its like that. Unsure about the prices of the macaron and jelly but definitely under $5.

The maple pudding or whatever it is, is delicious. Caramel topping on the jelly, then some plain custard, then a little surprise(spoiler alert) of sponge cake hidden inside that really just adds some texture and new flavour into it, it's flan-tastic(Thanks for pudding up with my lame puns)!!Definitely a pick-me-up-worthy treat after a bad exam hahaha $5. So worth.

So yeah that's my little review of Bann Sang and some treats from La Couronne, you should give them a try. Especially the maple pudding thing(really, what is that called?).

Cheers,
Just the one Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment